Sono Half Marathon Race Recap

Before we dive into my race recap I must say Happy Birthday to that dad of mine! Happy Birthday dad, hope you have a great day!

So, the race!

sono half marathon

The race started at 9am and only about 15 minutes away but I had no idea how parking/traffic would be. I woke up at 6:20 to give myself time to eat breakfast (over night oats are my pre race meal) have a cup of coffee and allow myself time to digest.

I left the house around 7 to avoid potential traffic and find parking. I had plenty of time and didn’t have any taffic/ parking issues. So I sat in my car for a while to stay warm and eventually headed to Veterans Park where the race started and ended so that I could pee 8 millions times (literally).

They asked everyone to head to the start line around 8:45 and I got a prime spot up close. I always try to get as close to the front as possible, I would rather people pass me then have to weave around other people. The race started promptly at 9:00 am which I appreciated, unfortunately as the race started I realized I had to pee. I tried to convince myself otherwise and that if I HAD to go I could stop at one of the porto potties on the road.

I started out strong and tried not to take it out too fast because I didn’t want my legs to die before the end. The weather was a tad chilly but the sun was shining and a great day for a race. The course was a little more challenging than I thought it was going to be. Every so often there were slow inclines and at one point we ran through a park that was a gravel path of slowly inclining hills.. so that wasn’t too fun. But honestly throughout the whole race I felt really good, I mostly focused on the music I was listening to and just kept trucking along. My legs didn’t really start to feel tired until mile 10 and at that point I was right where I wanted to be to beat my last time so I knew I just had to keep on going.

I never ended up stopping to go to the bathroom, I really didn’t want to mess with my time. Once I got to mile 12 I looked at my garmin and saw I was at 1:32:00ish and I knew if I wanted to make it in under 1:40:00 I needed to give the last mile all that I had left in me and that is exactly what I did. At that point my legs were def getting tired but I was so happy to almost be done.

I ran through the finish line at 1:39:19 and promptly walked to the bathroom to pee.

race results

Needless to say I was very happy with my race and time. I was happy with how good I felt the whole race and didn’t have any stomach issues that got in the way.

Post race I spent the entire day on the couch watching How To Get Away With Murder and eating my treat to myself from the Whole Foods hot bar, aka mostly eating yucca fries.
whole foods

Thank you Sono Half Marathon for giving me a free race entry in exchange for promoting the race. I will definitely be back next year!

How was your weekend?

Did you run any races?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge