2014 Ridgefield Half Marathon

Yesterday I ran the Ridgefield Half Marathon for the second time. Yes, you read that right, I ran a half marathon. You might be asking yourself has she even been training? The answer is no, I have not been training. I sort of forgot about/life/wedding things/honeymoon things got in the way. The only thing I have been doing to prepare is to run 6 miles 3 days a week so I would at least log 18 miles for the week.

But, I haven’t run a single “long run” in maybe a year? I am not entirely sure but I may have done 7 miles once this summer.

I had a very lax approach going into this race. I wasn’t really worried about it, running is fun for me and something I like to do, I don’t want to put pressure on myself about it because then it will stop being fun for me.

I woke up Sunday morning feeling a little worried though, I didn’t get much sleep the night before. I fell sound asleep at 10:30 last night but woke up an hour later thanks to some neighbors. After that I struggled to fall back asleep and felt wide awake. A couple hours later Brady through up in bed so I had to deal with that, so then I was super awake! Jeff came home about and hour later and I was so awake, I chatted with him about his evening. I think I eventually fell asleep by 3:00am and woke up at 6:34.

Despite my lack of sleep I felt pretty awake, but a little worried the tiredness would get the best of me mid run. We arrived at the course around 8 giving us about 30 mins to pick up our numbers, us the portopotti and get to the starting line.

In between getting our numbers and going back to the car to ditch some layers I lost my iphone arm band. I started to worry I would have to run with my phone in my hand, which isn’t something I like to do and thought it would slow me down. Fortunately I found my arm band on the walk back up. But when I went to put my ear buds in I realized I lost one of the cushions, there was nothing I could do about it then the race was starting in 2 minutes.

My first thought after all this happened was, ugh this race is going to be awful. I quickly reminded myself it will be fine and I found my arm band.

The race started promptly at 8:30, the sun was out and it was roughly mid 50s when we started, it was pretty chilly but my body warmed up quickly.

I fell into my running groove quickly and didn’t lose it. I felt so great this race it was crazy, I didn’t fatigue. Part of the reason I haven’t run past 6 miles is that my IT Band always seems to bother me when I try to run more. Well wouldn’t you know it shortly after passing mile 6 I could feel the pain begin, fortunately the pain wasn’t too bad and I was fine running through it. I also kept reminding myself how strong I felt; mind over matter!

I had a lot of energy at the last 3 miles and really kicked it up the last 1/2 mile. I was back and forth with one lady the whole race and she kept annoying me because she would run really hard and then stop and walk and I would speed by her and then she would decide to run again and speed by me. Well the second we saw the sign for the 1/2 mile she stopped and started to walk and all I could think was “really? we have a 1/2 mile left.” Well wouldn’t you know she caught up to me when we were turning to run the last leg and she passed me for a hot second and then my 2nd wind kicked in and I sprinted past her to the finish line! I just love when I have someone to give me that extra push at the end!

I came in at 1:44:30 taking off 2 minutes from my time last year! Giving me a new PR!

My dad also ran and did great! We both love this course and will definitely keep on running it!
2014 ridgefield half

How was your weekend?

Did you run any races?

Have you ever just winged a race? How did it go?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge